Forming an Opportunity Belief
Ever since I began high school, I have become consistent
with working out at the gym or being physically active in general. Most people want
to go to the gym, but do not feel access to the proper resources or mainly they
do not have any outside motivation to go. The majority want another person to go
with so it will help keep accountability. My idea is for each gym, starting
with YouFit, create an app. This app will have a profile for each member of the
gym after they sign up, and then there is the opportunity to add friends or
groups to your personal account. This will allow for more interaction and an
individual can find other gym partners. The world is moving fast with
technology, so this is an opportunity to use technology to help with personal
fitness. I am 90% sure that this opportunity exists.
Interview 1: Diaunte, Junior, Age 20
1.
How often do you go to the gym?
“On a good week, I will go at least 3 times.”
2.
Is it hard for you to find the motivation to go
to the gym?
“I am very busy so it can be hard for me to
find extra energy to go, but it usually forces me to go if I go with someone
else.”
3.
How long have you been going to the gym and why
do you feel the need to go?’
“I have been going to the gym since
maybe I was a senior in high school, and I go to help with dancing.”
4.
If there was an app for you to be able to find
gym partners, do you think it would benefit you?
“If my already known friends are
using the app it could help. I don’t know how I would feel about meeting random
people.”
Interview 2: T’Kia, Graduate Student, 23
1.
How often do you go to the gym?
“Usually I go 2 times a week and sometimes I
have gone up to 4 times a week.”
2.
Is it hard for you to find the motivation to go
to the gym?
“I don’t really like working out, so it makes
it hard, but I realize I need to go to the gym. So, I end up going.”
3.
How long have you been going to the gym and why
do you feel the need to go?’
“I started going to the gym when I
got to college because I like the way I looked, but I wanted abs.”
4.
If there was an app for you to be able to find
gym partners, do you think it would benefit you?
“I’m always on my phone so if I
could find a woman that I think looks good, then, I would definitely reach out
and start going with her as motivation.”
Interview 3: Jeff, Junior, 21
1.
How often do you go to the gym?
“I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and
on some days, I go multiple times.”
2.
Is it hard for you to find the motivation to go
to the gym?
“I like to lay in my bed, but I have a scale
in the bathroom and when I step on it, it reminds me I need to go. Gyms already
have apps, but I can’t use the app to find other people.”
3.
How long have you been going to the gym and why
do you feel the need to go?’
“I started in 8th grade
and it just continued on until now. I keep going because I like feeling good
and relieved once I leave the gym. It becomes addicting.”
4.
If there was an app for you to be able to find
gym partners, do you think it would benefit you?
“I’m always meeting people at the
gym and sharing workouts with people happens all the time. If there was an app
to go ahead and upload workouts and share them with people at the same time, it
would make me motivated to keep going and trying new workouts.”
Reflection: I learned that the people who believe in going
to the gym consistently will find the app beneficial, but if a person like
Diaunte does not go that often, then they might not see the same benefit. I
think the most surprising thing is that meeting random people does not sound that
bad to some people. However, this makes sense because I feel the majority of people
want to feed off others, so if given a platform to do so, then it would be great.
Summary: My original identified opportunity is still there
because health and physical fitness will always be important. So, any way to make
improvements and getting more people to work toward good health will be worth acting
on opportunities. Entrepreneurs should take customer feedback into heavy
consideration. The only way to grow ideas and companies is if more customers are
being satisfied. This can only be obtained by constantly adapting to what will
benefit the customer.
Hi Xavier, thanks for sharing your post! I really enjoyed reading your post because of the entrepreneurial angle you take and your proposed solution creating an app. I appreciate the effort you went through to interview these different people and it is very revealing to your belief. You exhibit a great focus on the consumer satisfaction, especially in your summary. It seems to me like this idea could be explored even further.
ReplyDeleteHey Xavier! I found this opportunity to be very unique, it's something that I've never heard of before. By creating an app, I see how it could motivate certain individuals and lead them to work harder. I also agree with your point in the summary about customer satisfaction since those are going to be the people that drive your business in a sense. You started off pretty optimistic about the opportunity then you were able to realize certain factors that can influence that percentage. Nice job!
ReplyDelete